HOUSE'S REQUEST FOR OPINION OF THE JUSTICES
All information on the House of Representative's request for an opinion of the Justices, including all filings and schedules, will be posted on this page. The Clerk's office will not be able to provide any additional information.
On August 30, 2018, before the 128th Maine Legislature adjourned sine die, the Maine House of Representatives referred the following question to the Justices of the Supreme Judicial Court, pursuant to article VI, section 3 of the Maine Constitution:
Does the decision of the Supreme Court of the United States in California v. Cabazon Band of Mission Indians, 480 U.S. 202 (1987), allow the Houlton Band of Maliseet Indians, a federally recognized Indian tribe, to conduct gambling on tribal trust land without permission to do so from the State?
The Justices have issued a procedural order establishing the process that they will use to consider the question. Briefs are due by 4:00 p.m. on Friday, October 12, 2018, with responsive briefs permitted by noon on Friday, October 26, 2018.
- Submitted question:
- House Order HO0072 (submitted question)
- Procedural orders:
- Procedural order dated September 18, 2018
All documents in order received or issued (most recent at top):
- Received October 26, 2018: Responsive brief of Henry John Bear
- Received October 12, 2018:
- Received October 2, 3018: Brief of John Clark
- Issued September 18, 2018: Procedural order
- Received August 31, 2018: House Order HO0072