David A. Jones v. Secretary of State (People's Veto Petition on Ranked-choice Voting)
The Maine Judicial Branch has set up this web page to post information on the appeal of David A. Jones et al. v. Secretary of State. We have prepared this page to ensure full access to the media and the public without compromising the litigants' right to a full and fair proceeding. It is our goal to accommodate the media and the public to the best of our abilities. All public documents (documents that are non-confidential and not sealed) will be available on this page, and will not be provided by the clerk's office, except to government agencies. Please check this web page often for updates and documents related to the case.
Case Name: David A. Jones v. Secretary of State
Law Court Docket Number: Cum-20-227
The documents below are in PDF format.
- September 25, 2020: Motion to file Opposition and Opposition of the Alliance Party
- September 25, 2020: Opposition of the Committee for Ranked Choice Voting et al.
- September 25, 2020: Opposition of Secretary of Statewith following attachments:
- September 23, 2020: Letter on behalf of Secretary of State to Clerk of the Law Court
- September 23, 2020: Order on Request to Expedite Motion to Stay Mandate and for Injunction
- September 23, 2020: Motion to Stay the Mandate, for an Injunction Pending Relief from the United States Supreme Court, and for Expedited Consideration, filed by David A. Jones et al.
- September 22, 2020: Decision of Court on merits of appeal
- September 8, 2020: Brief of appellee David A. Jones et al.
- September 8, 2020: Brief of appellant Committee for Ranked Choice Voting et al.
- September 8, 2020: Brief of appellant Secretary of State
- Addendum to brief of appellant Secretary of State
- September 8, 2020: Decision of Court on motion to stay
- September 3, 2020: Oral argument on motion to stay
- August 31, 2020: Opposition to Intervenors-Appellants' and Secretary's Motion to Stay filed by David A. Jones et al.
- August 31, 2020: Respondent-Appellant's Motion for Stay Pending Appeal with Incorporated Memorandum of Law filed by the Secretary of State
- Exhibit 1: Secretary of State's Determination of the Validity of the People's Veto Petition
- August 31, 2020: Motion for Stay Pending Appeal filed by the Committee for Ranked Choice Voting
- Includes the Superior Court's order as Exhibit A
- August 27, 2020: Notices of appeal and Superior Court docket sheet
Counsel of record:
For The Committee for Ranked Choice Voting, Philip Steele, Clare Payne, and Francis Babb:
James G. Monteleone, Esq.
Matthew J. Saldaña, Esq.
100 MIddle Street
Portland, Maine 04101
For the Secretary of State:
Phyllis Gardner, Esq.
Office of the Attorney General
6 State House Station
Augusta, Maine 04333-0006
For David A. Jones, Jonathan Kinney, and Joshua Morris:
Patrick Strawbridge, Esq.
Consovoy McCarthy PLLC
Ten Post Office Square
8th Floor South PMB #706
Boston, Massachusetts 02109
Members of the media who require further assistance can contact Amy Quinlan, Director of Court Communications. Ms. Quinlan may be reached at (207) 822-0716 or via email at email@example.com