The Judicial Branch has a number of guides and handbooks for non-attorneys to help you understand your rights, responsibilities, court procedures, and how to file various types of cases. Some of the publications below can be read directly from the website, or can be read and/or printed in PDF format. If you have trouble opening the publication as a PDF, you can download a free version of Adobe Acrobat Reader to view or print. The following publications are available:
- Citizen's Guide to the Maine Court (Revised 2004)
- Citizen's Guide to Appeals (Revised 2009)
- The First Steps - Protection From Abuse and Harassment (2014) (under revision)
- A Guide to Protection from Abuse and Harassment Cases (Revised 2018)
- Guide to Small Claims Cases (Revised 2016)
- Information for Jurors (Juror Handbook Reprinted 2016)
- A Guide for Families in Child Protection Cases (2018)
- State of Maine Bail Manual (2018)
Please note: content on the Judicial Branch website, including publications, translated publications, and links to external sites, are made available as a public service, and do not constitute legal advice. While every effort has been made to ensure that the information presented is accurate, comprehensive, and clear, the Judicial Branch does not guarantee the accuracy or timeliness of the information. Anyone who accesses or uses the information assumes all risk of loss.
Content on the Judicial Branch website, including publications and translated publications, may be modified at any time to add, correct or discontinue information. Several of the publications made available as a service are currently under revision, as noted above.
The Judicial Branch encourages anyone accessing or using the information on the website to get legal advice from licensed Maine attorneys. Procedural advice is available from court staff.