Protection from Violence
Click here if you are seeking help because another person is hurting you, or is threatening to hurt you.
- March 15, 2018: The Maine Statistical Analysis Center at the Muskie School of Public Service recently released the 2017 Court Access and Fairness Survey Report. This report summarizes the findings from the 2017 Maine Court Access and Fairness Survey, which asked survey participants to respond to a series of court “access” and “fairness” questions. The survey was conducted in March 2017 and was completed by 1,039 participants, all of whom were visitors to various courthouses across the State of Maine. The survey results summarized in this report are part of ongoing efforts by the Maine Judicial Branch (MJB) to be responsive to the government and the public. Findings from this research were positive, reflecting court users’ belief that courts are both accessible and fair. Read or download the report here.
- March 14, 2018: SJC invites comments on proposals by Advisory Committee on Professional Responsibility to amend the Maine Bar Rules to require recording of Fee Arbitration Commission proceedings and to amend the Rules of Professional Conduct to modify the conflict-of-interest rules when lawyers change firms. Comments due by March 28, 2018.
- February 27, 2018: Chief Justice Saufley delivered the State of the Judiciary address to the Legislature.
- February 23, 2018: Supreme Judicial Court invites comments on proposals by the Advisory Committee on Rules of Evidence to amend the hearsay rules. Comments due by March 23, 2018.
- February 16, 2018: The Supreme Judicial Court has adopted amendments to Rule 30(b)(4) of the Maine Rules of Civil Procedure, governing recording of depositions.
The Judicial Branch is on Twitter. To follow #MECourts, click here.