Statewide Child and Family Related Resources

Help locating the right information and services: 211 Maine

2-1-1 Maine connects Maine callers to health and human services available in their communities. Services include:

  • Basic needs - food, clothing, shelter
  • Counseling
  • Crisis intervention
  • Child development
  • Children's health and insurance
  • Childcare
  • Disability services
  • Emergency shelter
  • Parenting
  • Maternal/child health services
  • Suicide prevention
  • Substance abuse education programs
  • Transportation

Contact a resource specialist by dialing 2-1-1 or texting your zip code to 898-211. 

Additional ways to contact:
TYY: 2-1-1

Parent Education Programs

Parent education programs help parents understand children's development and needs while dealing with the stress of divorce or separation. More information can be found on the Parent Education Programs page. 

Advocates for Children – Androscoggin County
For Kids' Sake – Penobscot and Hancock Counties
Kennebec Valley Community Action Program (KVCAP) – Kennebec and Somerset Counties
Kids First Center– Cumberland, Franklin, Sagadahoc, and York Counties
ParentWorks – Knox and Lincoln Counties 

Supervised Visitation Centers*

Aroostook Mental Health Center (AMHC) – Aroostook County
Families and Children Together – Penobscot and Piscataquis Counties
Franklin County Children's Task Force – Franklin County 
Healthy Kids – Cumberland, Knox, Rockland, and Sagadahoc Counties 
Home Counselors, Inc. – Androscoggin, Cumberland, Franklin, Kennebec, Knox, Lincoln, Oxford, Sagadahoc, Somerset, Waldo, and York Counties
Home to Home – Sagadahoc County 
Kennebec Behavioral Health – Kennebec County 
Penquis Safe Havens Center – Piscataquis County 
Saint Andre Home, Inc. – York County 

Many of these programs also provide a neutral child drop-off and pick-up program. Please check with individual programs for availability. 

*Please note that this is not a complete list. 

Domestic Violence

24-Hour Statewide Helpline: 1-866-834-HELP (4357)

For resources for domestic violence victims in Maine, please visit the Maine Coalition to End Domestic Violence.

Immigrant Resource Center of Maine 
(207) 753-0061

Sexual Assault

24-Hour Statewide Support Line: 1-800-871-7741

For resources for sexual assault victims in Maine, please visit the Maine Coalition Against Sexual Assault.

Tribal Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Resources

Wabanaki Women's Coalition – (207) 763-3478
Aroostook Band of Micmacs, Domestic & Sexual Violence Advocacy Center – (207) 551-3639
Houlton Band of Maliseets, Domestic & Sexual Violence Advocacy Center – (207) 214-1917
Passamaquoddy Peaceful Relations – 1-877-853-2613
Penobscot Indian Nation, Domestic & Sexual Violence Advocacy Center (207) 631-4886 

Children's Advocacy Centers

A Children's Advocacy Center (CAC) is a facility in which professionals from many disciplines come together to conduct interviews of children alleged to have been sexually assaulted. Professionals involved may include staff from the Department of Health and Human Services, law enforcement officials, medical providers, and victim advocates. These professionals work as a team to decide the treatment, investigation, and prosecution of child sexual assault cases. 

More information on Maine's CACs may be found at: Maine Network of Children's Advocacy Centers

Hotlines and Resources

Alcoholics Anonymous 
24-hour Hotline: 1-800-737-6237

Housing Hotline (referrals to shelters and other resources)

Maine Crisis Help Hotline (suicide and other 24-hour resources)

Narcotics Anonymous 

Office of Child and Family Services/Child Welfare (to report abuse or neglect of children)

Adult Protective Services (to report danger, abuse, neglect, or exploitation of incapacitated or dependent adults)

Suicide Prevention