Abuse & Harassment


Options for filing a request (complaint) for protection from abuse or protection from harassment:

Self-represented litigants (filers without a lawyer):

Self-represented litigants can ask for protection orders in-person at the courthouse or by email.


Courts with eFiling: Attorneys in courts where eFiling is available are required electronic filers under Rule 33(B)(1) of the Maine Rules of Electronic Court Systems (MRECS) and must file using eFileMaine. To learn more about eFiling, and to see a list of courts accepting eFiling, visit the Maine eCourts page.

  • Required electronic filers may request to be excused from mandatory use of the eFileMaine for good cause. See M.R.E.C.S. 33(D).
  • Completion of form PA-027 is necessary to file a complaint electronically.

Courts without eFiling: Attorneys who want to file in courts that have not yet implemented Maine eCourts may file conventionally (in-person, email, or mail).

Protection Order Forms

Use the following form packets to ask for protection:

For use when filing by EMAIL:

For use when filing IN PERSON at the courthouse:

For all other court forms in Protection from Abuse or Harassment cases, see the Court Forms page.

How law enforcement can help

Maine law enforcement officers receive special training to help victims of domestic violence prevent further abuse. Officers may:

  • Give the victim written information about domestic violence or sexual assault help that is available locally, and how to file a protection from abuse case;
  • Remain on the scene of the alleged abuse as long as the officer reasonably believes there is a danger to the physical safety of the victim without the officer being there;  
  • Assist the victim in obtaining medical treatment caused by the abuse; and/or
  • Arrest an individual with or without a warrant if the officer reasonably believes that there has been a violation of a previously granted temporary or final protection from abuse order. The violation of the order does not need to have taken place in the presence of the officer.

How an advocate can help

If you are worried for yourself or for someone else, consider contacting the following resources. 

  • Statewide Domestic Abuse Helpline: 1-866-834-HELP (free and confidential). Individuals who are deaf, late-deafened, or hard of hearing: 1-800-437-1220.
  • Statewide Sexual Assault Helpline: 1-800-871-7741 (free and confidential) 
  • Maine Coalition to End Domestic Violence
  • Maine Coalition Against Sexual Assault
  • Wabanaki Women's Coalition:
    • Micmac Domestic & Sexual Violence Advocacy Center: 207-551-3639
    • Maliseet Domestic & Sexual Violence Advocacy Center: 207-532-6401
    • Indian Township Passamaquoddy Domestic & Sexual Violence Advocacy Center:
    • Passamaquoddy Peaceful Relations Domestic & Sexual Violence Advocacy Center:
    • Penobscot Nation Domestic & Sexual Violence Advocacy Center: 207-631-4886

When you contact one of the above resources, you will be connected with an advocate. An advocate is a trained person who can: 

  • Give information about protection orders and help you understand what happens in court;
  • Help with court paperwork and find legal help;
  • Give you support and information;
  • Help with other services like housing, counseling, support groups, and mental health help;
  • Help with safety planning; and/or
  • Provide information on how to file if you are under 18. 

Additional resources

  • If you are a victim of violence, abuse, or harassment and believe you are in immediate danger, call 9-1-1. 
  • To learn more about the process of filing for a protection order, please review:
  • Frequently Asked Questions. This includes step-by-step instructions for how to file.
  • Maine Lawyer Referral Service ($25 for a 30-minute consultation with an attorney): 
  • Maine Adult Protective Services arranges for services to protect incapacitated and dependent adults (age 18 and over) in danger of abuse, neglect or exploitation. The adult abuse hotline number: 1-800-624-8404 or Maine Relay 711.
  • Maine Child and Family Services in the Department of Health and Human Services protects children from abuse and neglect. The 24- hour hotline to report suspected abuse or neglect is 1-800-452-1999 or Maine Relay 711.